Hemal Trivedi is an internationally celebrated filmmaker for over 15 years. Her work has won one Oscar, three Emmys and seven Emmy nominations, a nomination for MTV Movie Awards, nominations for Independent Spirits Awards and Cinema Eye Award. She has won over 30 other prestigious awards and honors. Her work has been showcased in film festivals including Sundance, Tribeca, IDFA, Full Frame and AFI and venues including the United Nations and US Department of State. Her work has been broadcast on Netflix, HBO, PBS (Frontline and Independent Lens), YouTube Red, Channel 4 and several other broadcast venues. She has served as a speaker, panelist and judge for TEDx, Independent Film Week, the Emmys and other prestigious awarding bodies.
She was born and raised in an inner-city chawl (the ghetto) of Mumbai, India, Hemal spent her formative years striving to climb the social ladder. She did odd jobs ranging from working as a concierge in Mumbai's five-star hotels, to a lab technician in a microbiology lab. With the help of a state scholarship, Hemal entered one of India's most prestigious business schools in India (NMIMS) and got her MBA in Marketing. She worked in mutual funds in India before moving to the U.S. to pursue her passion for non-fiction storytelling. She has a master’s degree in Journalism and Mass Communications from University of Florida.
Hemal Trivedi's Filmography
- Editor, Inshallah Democracy - profiling former Pakistani Dictator General Pervez Musharraf, Sheffield, 2017. Directed by Mohammed Ali Naqvi.
- Consulting Editor, Ask the Sexpert - A film centered on a long time sex advice columnist, Dr. Mahinder Watsa. HotDocs, Sheffield, 2017. Directed by Vaishali Sinha.
- Producer, Director, Editor, My Big Bollywood Wedding. A Smithsonian TV special on Indian weddings in the US.
- Editor, This is- Gigi Gorgeous. A Youtube Red original, profiles transgender celebrity Gigi Gorgeous. Sundance, 2017, nominated for MTV Movie Awards. Directed by two-time Academy Award filmmaker Barbara Koppel.
- Producer, Director, Editor, Among the Believers. Over 50 film festivals worldwide, 33 awards, Cinema Eye and Independent Spirits Award nomination, distributed by First Run Features, PBS, Netflix. Shown in United Nations and Department of State - acclaimed worldwide as one of the most important pieces of journalism on modern day Pakistan and the larger Muslim world's internal battle against extremism.
- Editor, Outlawed in Pakistan. Emmy 2014, two Emmy nominations, PBS Frontline, Sundance. Directed by Habiba Nosheen and Hilke Schellmann.
- Editor, Saving Face. Oscar 2012, Two Emmys 2013, five Emmy nominations, HBO/Channel 4. Directed by Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy.
- Producer, Director, Editor, Shabeena’s Quest. Witness, Al Jazeera.
- Editor, When the Drum is Beating Tribeca 2011, Independent Lens. Directed by Whitney Dow.
- Producer, Director, Editor Beyond Mumbai. Produced by Odyssey Networks, Webby nomination and five other prominent awards.
- Editor, Associate Producer. Flying on One Engine (SXSW, IDFA). Directed by Joshua Weinstein.
- Editor, Laughter. Directed by Neil Davenport.
She has produced and edited over 50 award- winning shorts for Odyssey Networks.